Friday, March 25, 2011

DRJ #: Hamlet Act IV

This act took a turn towards more drama and a series of events beginning to unfold. It was suspenseful and full of action, unlike the other acts where we are just seeing the interaction of the characters and their response to the setting. We are able to see into more of what is going on in the minds of the characters as well. It is at this point in the play that we can recognize that Shakespeare is beginning to clue the reader in on what is taking place. I personally found this act the most interesting and easiest to read as it holds your attention as it goes on. 

My attention was drawn to the character Ophelia as she is still grieving and paying respect to her deceased father. He is still so dear to her heart and she cannot help but continually focus on his passing. This process of grieving that she has chosen to take truly hinders her capability of being able to process all that is going on around her. The song that she makes up is peculiar, as the was just nonchalantly going around singing. While the act progresses the reader may lose thought of her as a character because of her constant singing but when she dies it bringing the attention back to her as a character as it is a shocking revelation.

As repetitive as this theme may be, I think that that of revenge is the most noticeable in this act. This takes part in the fact that Hamlet finally seeks and accomplishes the plan of his revenge and thus suffers the consequences. This story is truly summed up as Hamlet shows the readers how revenge takes place as a pattern and cycle that cannot be broken and thus will ultimately be executed. 

4 comments:

  1. This act was definitely had more action. I was heartbroken for Ophelia. The pain and suffering know her father was killed by someone she thought loved her at one point. I agree her songs were peculiar but had meaning to the way she was feeling for her father. Then a shock at the end to find out she drowned. It's horrible but it kept me on my feet wanting to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line of your comment reminds me of how I interpret revenge in this play as well. It’s absolutely pointless. Hamlet and Laertes are both seeking revenge for what happened to their fathers but in the end they both get killed. Shakespeare used this powerful point in the play to show us that revenge is a pointless act that can lead to a person’s demise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this act had the most drama and action. Personally, I liked it. I also felt for Ophelia in this act she was caught in the middle of an unfortunate incident. I agree with you and the others here that revenge is an endless cycle that hurts everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany this also has been my favorite act with the drama and not wanting it to end. I think that the theme of revenge shows how once it gets started it just keeps going until you have made a mistake. This reminds me of people playing pranks in that they always want the last laugh and get back, but it eventually just escalates and gets out of control until somebody gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete