Saturday, March 5, 2011

DRJ #1: Hamlet, Act I

When I began reading the first act of Hamlet, I was concerned. This was due to the fact that the old english dialect seemed foreign but to much of my surprise it was actually the type of language that holds a deeper meaning. The symbolism and irony of each sentence holds the readers attention and is a style of literature that is more like an art.  So far this play has caught my attention and is very intriguing. To me, Hamlet is especially interesting to the story. The way that he addresses Claudius and his mother is loving and supportive. I would say that Hamlet has characteristics of being juvenile and young but he is probably a few years beyond how he acts sometimes.
From my point of view, I focused on Hamlet as a character. His values and upstanding morals are refreshing and difficult to match in another of the characters in the story. Although Hamlet is at odds with his mother and addresses her with disgust one can quickly recognize that he still embraces loyalty and follows love in his heart. Hamlet is in an uproar of emotions of the passing of his father. While everyone moves foreword with their lives, even Gertrude we recognize that he feels alone in being loyal to the old King because he is the only one still respecting him in his mourning. My opinion on labeling Hamlet as a character would be that of a "upstanding old-values gentlemen". Shakespeare chooses to utilize loyalty as a theme to represent Hamlets respect for people and thus molding him into the character that he is. Loyalty is portrayed nearing the end of the Act when we see Hamlet taking a vow upon his fathers spirit to take revenge on the old Kings death. Regardless of his passing away, we recognize that Hamlet exercises loyalty to maintain the name that his father carried. 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your comments about Hamlet the character. I too felt that his personality was refreshing in that his values seemed honest and loyal; this seems to me to be a good introduction to contrast the tragedy that we are to see in the later acts and how his admirable personality traits may come into play with the avenging of his father's death. Shakespeare has introduced him as the true hero of this story and I think you hit the nail on the head with your descriptions of his age and morality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with your feelings on Hamlet being an upstanding, old-values, gentlemen. With his feelings for Ophelia and the words and promises he makes to her only further the feelings. With the feelings towards his mother,and the current situation, also it shows that he handles it like a gentleman when addressing her and his uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brittney, I love the things you mentioned about Hamlet's character. Hamlet in the very beginning I fell in love with his mannerism. Despite the fact that his mother married his uncle he is still loyal and loving to his mother's demands. So great observation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too found the language a little foreign and hard to follow at first, but like you said, it seems to get easier as you read, eventually growing on you. I have read books before with old English dialect before, but nothing this thick. I really feel that having the story written this way makes the story deep and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany, I didn't really make the correlation of him being a gentleman and respectful to his parents, but you do know after you prove good points with his loyalty to his mother. Even tough, the man she is married to killed his father and is his brother he still respects his mother and wants to take care of her.

    ReplyDelete